Cerebral palsy is a term used to describe a group of chronic conditions affecting motor function, particularly muscle control and coordination. There are currently more than 50,000 Canadians with cerebral palsy.
There are over 300,000 Canadians living with the effects of stroke. Each year, 50,000 additional Canadians suffer a stroke.
In Manitoba, there are in excess of 800 individuals living with Multiple Sclerosis. Canadians have one of the highest rates of M.S. in the world. Every day, three more people are diagnosed with M.S.
Function-based programs, such as Conductive Education, can help an individual achieve maximum potential in growth, development and self-esteem.
Click the link above to check out our facility!
The Movement Centre of Manitoba Inc. is committed to providing opportunities for Manitobans with motor challenges to achieve optimal physical, cognitive and social independence, through the application and promotion of Conductive Education principles.
The Movement Centre of Manitoba is a top-rated facility that delivers intensive weekly programs of Conductive Education. The facility consists of three spacious classrooms outfitted with specialized equipment designed to facilitate movement and promote learning through childhood, adolescence and into adulthood. A heated pool with a hydraulic lift, kitchen, laundry facility and bathing area are incorporated for the development of life skills.
Conductive Education at The Movement Centre
- A teaching method for individuals with movement disabilities.
- Every adult is given an active role in their own learning, rather than being a recipient of therapy that is “done to them”.
- The Conductive Education program requires that the participating individual has the ability to understand basic instructions along with a desire to actively participate. This is essential for achieving success.
- The peer group is an important element of the program, promoting a fun, motivating environment while working toward individual goals.
- A structured program allows for the development of a routine and creates expectation, helping our clients achieve as much independence as possible.
Adults can receive Individual Classes with one of our Conductor’s for a very personalized program benefiting the individual’s specific needs
Emphasis is placed on learning new strategies of thinking and movement and applying these to everyday situations. Problem solving, motivation, attention and strength are developed alongside sitting, standing, walking manipulation and self-care skills.
Individuals recovering from stroke are lead through a structured program aimed at improving body awareness and symmetry, range of movement, activity and confidence. Tasks to develop balance, standing and walking abilities and active use of the affected arm and hand are incorporated with concentration and communication skills. Specific techniques are learned to ensure the application of learnt skills outside the program. Individuals are grouped by abilities to ensure the needs of the group can be met.
People with multiple sclerosis are lead through a structured program aimed at developing movements and encouraging increased independence and participation. Techniques are taught to enable individuals to learn ways to overcome specific difficulties. Throughout each session opportunities to develop skills in lying, sitting and standing positions are given to all individuals. Individuals are grouped by abilities to ensure the needs of the group can be met.
Individual and group goals include the development of:
- fine and gross motor skills
- self-care and life skills
- body and spatial awareness
- attention span and listening skills
- social skills
- self-esteem, confidence and motivation
- cognitive development and problem solving
- speech and communication
Think our program could benefit you? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Initial Assessment – $90
Assessment Length: 30 mins – 2 hours (time varies for each individual)
* Scheduled after we receive the Pre-Assessment Form
Membership Fee – $25
Membership is yearly. All individuals enrolled in our program must be members in good standing.
Program Fees – Please contact our administrative staff for adult program costs.